Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Favorite Character

One of my favorite characters from books that I have read is actually a character from the book that I am just about finished reading right now. The book is called Waiting For You by Susan Colasanti. The main character's name is Marisa. At the beginning of the book, she was struggling with deciding which person is the right one for her. She had the choice between geeky, quirky Nash, who she had grown up with for all of her childhood. He really seems to understand her, and is there for her in all times of trouble. He listens to her when she is hurt. But then she has the other choice to be with the popular Derek, who everyone dreams about. She instantly falls for Derek at the beginning of the book, thinking that his sparkling reputation and being with him could improve her reputation as well. Who wouldn't want to date the most popular guy in school? But as their relationship together drags on, she realizes that he doesn't ever listen to her like Nash does. He doesn't understand her. It almost seems like he doesn't care. When she talks to Nash about her issues with Derek, he tunes in 100%, and gives her helpful advice to carry on. Without Nash, I seriously wonder what would have happened to Marisa if she didn't have anyone to talk to. By the end of the book, she wonders why in the world she is still with Derek. She breaks up with him, realizing that he did nothing good for her. All he did was hurt her. She teaches herself a moral that waiting for the perfect person is going to take time, and you need to be patient. That is why I think the book is called Waiting For You. The moral that she taught herself is also a very important moral that I think everyone can learn from, not only with a relationship, but with life in general. There are many great opportunites, but you just can't expect them to come right to you. That is why I think I connected so much to this character as well.

Thanks for reading!
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment